Sign in to follow this  
LenovoG500

Novabench delays my system starting up?

First of all thanks for the new version of NovaBench, very good work (and good that the CPU usage now goes up to 100%).

Yet I want to report some error messages reported in the event log (I have Windows 8 with all the updates offered by Windows Update). When Windows starts I get three times the error ServiceHang with the following details:

P1: NovabenchService

P2: NovabenchService.exe"

P3: 0.0.0.0

P4: 10

P5: 2

P6:

P7:

P8:

P9:

P10:

At the Windows startup I also have the peculiar effect that when I click on the Network symbol in the Charms>Settings the networks appear after some seconds delay. I think it started when I installed NovaBench 4 and I believe that it has to do with the mentioned error message.

When I open NovaBench I have 4 or 5 errors in the style of "The open process for the service "ESENT" failed in DLL "C:\windows\system32\esentprf.dll"." I have the same error for the services/files Lsa/Secur32.dll, MSDTC/Msdtcuiu.dll, Wmiaprpl/Wmiaprpl.dll and (not always - probably because it is not always active) BITS/Bitsperf.dll. All the files are of course in the C:\windows\system32 folder.

When I close NovaBench I have three times the error FaultTolerantHeap with the following details:

P1: NovabenchGUI.exe

P2: 4.0.0.0

P3: 59AF6233

P4: 128

P5:

P6:

P7:

P8:

P9:

P10:

It isn't something crucial perhaps but you may want to have a look into these error messages (and it would be appreciated). 

Edited by LenovoG500

Thanks for reporting this. I've done a few optimizations to the NovabenchService start-up time - it should be very quick.

However, if you're still seeing a bit of a hang booting windows you can set NovabenchService from Automatic to Manual start-up mode under Services. Here's some more info on what the service does: https://novabench.com/docs/service-driver

The ESENT and other errors you're seeing should be harmless.

The service still hangs, I don't think it is a matter of time.

I have set it to manual and this solved the related issues.

With NovaBench 4.0.3 every time I run it for the first time after booting I have an exception error at offset  0x5a00f2e8. The faulting module is ntdll.dll at offset 0x5644f0f7 (version 6.2.9200.17581). The error code is 0xc0000374 and the error transposition is 0x00000000000e9d19. The second time I run it the program starts normally. Sorry if I bother you too much.

Edited by LenovoG500

Hey.

I'm a very fresh user of Novabench, but the tool is awesome, mixing almost everything I could wish for benchmarking my PC. In the first place i want to say thank you for delivering such a product for free.

The problem i'm experiencing right now is that Novabench appears to slow down my PC starting up. Originally I was thinking that this problem is caused by one of the Windows updates, but I performed Windows restoration using back-up image of 4-th April 2017, downloaded and installed all available updates and the issue didn't appear. In the meantime whenever I install Novabench, my PC starting up slows down dramatically (actually my system is completely run in SSD, so it doesn't take too long anyway, but i can easily notice that). I checked it several times installing and removing the program, and i can say almost certainly that the problem is arose when Novabench is installed. It seems to be related to Wi-Fi or kind of network part of the system, since Wi-Fi icon is staying in loading state for quite a while. I can run some programs though while this period (e.g. i can launch Chrome browser, but cannot launch Steam).

Edit

One more thing - it happens only when starting the system. If i just switch between users, the problem doesn't arise.

Here my system and the software specs:

• Novabench Version: 4.0.3 - November 2017 (free)
  • OSWindows 7 Home Premium, Service Pack 1
  • Laptop Model: HP Pavillion dv7 6053er
  • Network Adapter: Wi-Fi Broadcom 4314GN 802.11b/g/n 1x1
    • Driver Version: 5.100.82.147

If you need anything else to address the issue, feel free to let me know!

Best wishes,

Edited by Norman

Thanks for reporting this. I've merged your post with an existing post of likely the same problem.

This is a high priority for me to fix!

@Norman

It is the NovaBench service, if you set it to "Manual" these problems will vanish.

@Nathan

Thanks for the response. I want to clarify that the "The open process for the service xx failed in DLL "C:\windows\system32\xxx.dll" errors are generated when I run the benchmark for the first time and not when I open the program as I firstly thought. Also, about the application error problem, these days I did a reset of my system with the help of the OEM recovey partition due to some other problem. When I installed NovaBench and tried to open it it errored four times without opening. I was wondering what to do, I remembered something I did some time before and I filled the "Start From" entry of the application's link with the application's folder path. Then I tried again to open it and it did without erroring. Yet I don't know if it completely solves the problem. Another thing that I noticed before resetting my system is that if I waited for sometime after booting before opening NovaBench it opened normally too. I hope this information will be of some help. 

It seems that responsible for the application error is my AVG Antivirus Free. With the latest version 18.2.3046 I can't start NovaBench without disabling AVG's Behavior Shield - I get the mentioned application error message. The rest are the same.