NickPick528

Server Question

Hi,

I was wondering what parts make a good server for dental office use? For example, used for storing doctor's agendas and patient profiles, and then having those files opened from different dental programs from multiple computers at the same time and more like that. I'm asking because I think my dad's dental office server is not suited for what it needs to be used for. It's slow too, not really on the other computers accessing data from it, but when you use the actual machine itself. It's connected to my dad's advanced 1000mbps Ethernet system at work, and so is every computer.

947749.png

Thanks 

Edited by NickPick528

How do you access the server? RDP or directly (keyboard, monitor?)

How's the typical RAM and CPU usage? On its own it seems like a fine server, but it may be overcommitted.

On February 18, 2016 at 10:28 PM, Nathan said:

How do you access the server? RDP or directly (keyboard, monitor?

Well, it's kind of confusing, because it's used in a dental office, there is an app called "Appointment Book" that shows the employees how many patients they're seeing each day, what time they're seeing them, etc. Also, if you double click on the patient, it will open Dentrix which will show a graph of all their teeth with lines and stuff on them to show the spdentist what needs to be done, as well as X-rays, pictures, and information about the patient. There's also a program called Venga that lets all the different dentists talk to each other over computers. All of the stuff I just mentioned is stored on the server, and accessed by multiple computers at the same time. If my dad needs to access the server while he's not at work, he remotely connects to it using LogMeIn from our home computer and accesses all of the Appointment Book and Dentrix information straight from there. I've watched him do it before, and there is a noticeable amount of lag and freezing up while he's using it. I don't have access to the task manager right now.

i hope this helps

On 2/21/2016 at 0:35 PM, Nathan said:

It's possible that the lag is just from LogMeIn (network latency, etc), and not a problem with the server load.

It's not only slow from LogMeIn, but it's also slow when you use it physically (not remotely, but actually use it like a normal desktop)

I just noticed, that graphics chip is really old! I'm guessing it's a Dell PowerEdge? I may be wrong. It looks like Dell chose it to be just barely useable to run the Windows Server GUI. Which makes sense, since a server usually doesn't need to do 3D, but that chip is a revision of a design from 1998, and Matrox makes a newer version they could have chosen. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Anyway your sluggishness might be due to that.

• Make sure no graphics effects are turned on (should be the default for Windows Server)
  • See if the Matrox graphics driver from Dell is installed (Matrox doesn't support the g200, so the driver needs to come from Dell)

You could install a newer PCIe graphics card, but this will break the service agreement with Dell :)