Sign in to follow this  
rpak

Is low RAM my problem?

My late 2009 iMac, 2.66 Ghz Intel Core i5 posted a score of 653, vs. a benchmark average of about 910.  I've only got 4 Gb of RAM, which is about ½ of what the other computers shown have in their system.   However, when I run at Activity Monitor, the "Memory Pressure" indicator is always low.  Would increasing RAM nevertheless be the best thing for me to do first to speed things up?

2014-07-11 02:28:13 +0000
Mac OS X 10.9.3
Intel Core i5 @ 2660 MHz
Graphics Card: ATI Radeon HD 4850

4096 MB System RAM (Score: 112)
- RAM Speed: 3618 MB/s

CPU Tests (Score: 359)
- Floating Point Operations/Second: 112837384
- Integer Operations/Second: 235495632
- MD5 Hashes Calculated/Second: 837426

Graphics Tests (Score: 164)
- 3D Frames Per Second: 509

Hardware Tests (Score: 18)
- Primary Partition Capacity: 930 GB
- Drive Write Speed: 56 MB/s

Typically it does improve things. With more RAM you aren't required to read/write as often to swap space on the hard disk (paging), which is extremely slow in comparison.

Of course, if you aren't having any problems with speed, then it might not be worth it.

Things do seem to be going more slowly, whether it is launching an application or switching between windows.  I ran the Novabench program because I was looking for some way to confirm my suspicion.  I've also got the program CleanMyMac2 and I've run that to try to get rid of junk.

But can you interpret those foyour individual tests to see why the overall score is so low?

And are there benchmarks for the individual tests, as opposed to the overall score?