Sign in to follow this  
Fortkentdad

[OLD VERSION] Win7 Vs Win8

I have a DIY PC I put together in October based on the AMD A10-5800K on an ASUS FM2 A85-M Pro Board.

I've found NovaBench a very friendly, easy program, and at the right price.

It is helping me fine tune my PC and I've noticed a few things about my scores, but one thing I cannot understand. The same hardware, set up to the same (or as similar as possible) settings in Windows 7 are scoring much better than the same system on Windows 8.

I do see a range of score but the difference is significant, Win8 scores are in the 700-800 range, while the Win7 scores are generally over 900, and all my scores over 1000 are Win7.

You can see my scores, just look for scores by Fortkentdad.

Just wondering if anyone else sees this difference?

Should have mentioned that my rig is set up as a dual boot system, either Windows 7 Home Premium or Windows 8 Pro. I built the system with 32 GB of RAM, and then learned that my old OS (Win7 Home Premium) has a 16 GB ceiling, option was either pay the upgrade cost to Windows 7 Pro, or Windows 8 Pro ~ Win8 was much cheaper, and new and interesting. Alas it also does not support most of my games so I ended up learning how to set the rig up with an OS choice.

I ran my best NovaBench at 1080 this afternoon in Win7. have run several tests all over 1,000. , Reboot, same BIOS settings, same settings in ASUS Ai Suite, same AMD Catalyst's Vision Control Centre settings (CPU Max, Graphics Overdrive - max, set to Xfire the two HD6670's I have under the hood. and what do I get 646! What's up with that?

Win7 running at about 80% faster than the same specs in Win8? But I do not see much difference between the two OS's Mind you I don't have games loaded in WIn8 so I'm only comparing general use, like MS Office, Adobe PS Elements, and Google Chrome for surfing.

Thanks for the report. I've taken a look at some of your results.

The difference appears to be your graphics score. It is significantly lower on Windows 8. Novabench currently does not work properly with Crossfire or STI technologies (will be fixed in the upcoming version, we have a completely new GPU test). This issue is probably more pronounced on Windows 8 due to driver or graphics pipeline differences.

Your other system subscores are either in-line with Windows 7, or better in the case of your RAM score (32GB vs 16GB). So you likely have nothing to worry about in terms of real-life performance.