Sign in to follow this  
onfire4jc

CPU Speed Dropped Significantly

Here are two novabench scores of my computer: 1) one is three days ago. 2) the other is today.

1) 5/17/2011 6:05:33 PM
Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium
Intel Core i5 M 480 2.67GHz @ 2661 MHz
Graphics Card: Intel® HD Graphics

7991 MB System RAM (Score: 163)
- RAM Speed: 5737 MB/s

CPU Tests (Score: 387)
- Floating Point Operations/Second: 102881892
- Integer Operations/Second: 313060172
- MD5 Hashes Generated/Second: 867980

Graphics Tests (Score: 33)
- 3D Frames Per Second: 113

Hardware Tests (Score: 51)
- Primary Partition Capacity: 684 GB
- Drive Write Speed: 126 MB/s

2) 5/20/2011 5:21:12 PM
Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium
Intel Core i5 M 480 2.67GHz @ 2660 MHz
Graphics Card: Intel® HD Graphics

7991 MB System RAM (Score: 149)
- RAM Speed: 2919 MB/s

CPU Tests (Score: 134)
- Floating Point Operations/Second: 25495309
- Integer Operations/Second: 65311842
- MD5 Hashes Generated/Second: 698003

Graphics Tests (Score: 37)
- 3D Frames Per Second: 125

Hardware Tests (Score: 40)
- Primary Partition Capacity: 684 GB
- Drive Write Speed: 79 MB/s

My CPU speed seems to have decreased significantly. Well, in most cases, I would not worry too much about this CPU speed loss. However, its a brand new computer for my dad and I don't want it to be a "lemon" so to speak. I can still return it in the next 3 days if it does not work for a full refund.

I should also mention that the only two things that I can think of that changed my score is that I downloaded a lot of new freeware software like Malwarebytes, Everest, Easues, Filezilla, Gimp, Media Monkey, Paint.net, etc...

And second I had to do a system restore after messing around with my user profile. I accidentally changed a setting which did not recognize my password. Thus, when I restarted I could not login. I went into my boot settings and did a system restore. I think that is where the problem is coming from. But I have no idea why it affected my CPU speed.

I was using Tuneup Utilities 2011 and customizing window settings. Under this tab, I was changing the user logon. Under user logon was a tab for automatic logon. I thought I could add my user name and password there so I could logon automatically. However, I did not completely fill out the user, password, and domain. So when I restarted the computer, I was unable to log in with my settings. Thus, I had to go to the bios and boot menu to do a system restore. I tried using my windows password recovery USB first, but that was unable to work either. So system restore was my last choice other than doing a fresh install.

Anyone have any suggestions how to restore CPU speed or increase speed back to how it was previously? Maybe even make it faster?
I want to avoid doing a fresh install...all previous advice was to reformat. But I don't want to have to install all my programs again.
Thanks!

Id advise on format and clean install. Not heard of cpu speed dropping before and im building pc systems and installing windows all the time. Backup data and do a clean install. Only takes a few hours at the most.

Based on your suggestions and others, I think I will go ahead and do a clean install.
I've not done one on Windows 7 before, do you have any ideas what is the best way to do a clean install and backup?
I did download Easues Todo backup....Is there anyway to save all my data and installed programs?
I really don't want to have to reinstall everything :(

Is this lower score consistent across multiple tests? It may have been a outlier caused by a run-away process when you ran the test.

If it is consistently lower, you should monitor the task manager for processes with high CPU usage. You may also want to check your power settings in windows, as well as any settings you may have accidentally changed in the BIOS to scale the processor speed back.

Thanks Nathan for responding back to my post,

To answer your question, yes this score is consistent across multiple test.
I know for a fact that my computer should be benchmarking around 650 but right now its less than 400.
I did multiple test with the exact dell models and they are running around 650 consistently novabenchmark.

My computer was also running at 650 before I did the following:
1) Flashed my BIOS from A12-A13.
2) Installed new software
3) Did a system restore (due to a lost password glitch).

I can't figure out how to boost my computer back to normal even when using ThrottleStop.
Any help would be great!

My power settings are maximum performance on A/C.
And my processes are slimmed down to the essentials no extra bloatware.
Firefox is the most heavy hungry process. Then desktop windows manager. Then desktop gadgets. Then windows explorer. Any suggestions would be so useful at this point. I'm running out of ideas why my CPU is being throttled.
Also I restored my BIOS to default settings and EIST is enabled.

My only suggestion at this point would be to do a fresh install of Windows, but possibly on a different partition or hard drive. That would let you keep your current files, and check if it's just your current installation.

My only suggestion at this point would be to do a fresh install of Windows, but possibly on a different partition or hard drive. That would let you keep your current files, and check if it's just your current installation.

Actually, I found the solution.
I had to access MSCONFIG and unclick the boot with 1 processor.
For some reason that was checked marked, now I run with all four processors!