I have a 2009 HP m9600t PC. The only upgrades I have made are the cpu which was upgraded to a still 2009 i7-980 (not even the 980x), and an NVidia gtx 970 video card. Everything else still stock including the hard drive. And all that running at 4K. And memory can only run at the locked by HP speed of PC3-8500. The lowest speed in DDR3 ram.
My scores are better than most new cpu's and system of today. Moral is that for a few hundred bucks you can update your system without breaking the bank. Still going strong after seven years. By the way, I bought this system refurbished back in '09. I think I can get an other 3 years out of this old lady! Look at my CPU score, better than some i7-5820k and most i7-6500 or 6700...
Verified NovaBench Score: 1877
Test run on August 12, 2016
Microsoft Windows 10 Pro Intel Core i7 980 3.33GHz running at 3334 MHz NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970 GPU 24568 MB System RAM (Score: 240)
- RAM Speed: 7602 MB/s CPU Tests (Score: 945)
- Floating Point Operations/Second: 312295416
- Integer Operations/Second: 1175410380
- MD5 Hashes Generated/Second: 1107419 Graphics Tests (Score: 639)
- 3D Frames Per Second: 1721 Hardware Tests (Score: 53)
- Primary Partition Capacity: 582 GB
- Drive Write Speed: 159 MB/s