Sign in to follow this  
xecutionx

Post Your Desktop!

I've finished customizing mine for now. I got google desktop 4, and that adds widget (they call it gadget) functionality. It doesn't have as large a selection yet as yahoo widget engine (which I'm going to install sometime in the near future as some of its widgets look really cool), but I'm hoping that will change with time; I'd rather not have to run two similar programs, and it's really easy to add gadgets since the gadget library is now integrated with the desktop program.
elykdesktop.jpg (markwow already took desktop.jpg)
I was just thinking of something really funny. The thing in the upper left hand corner, with the power button, also has a functionality where you can set an event in your google calendar called shutdown, standby, hibernate, etc. What someone should do is install it on somebody else's computer, set the notification interval to zero (usually it pops up an alert a couple seconds before performing an action and gives you the option to confirm), then make their computer turn off at random times (no, this is not an invitation to hack my google account and try, and anyway, I have left the alert interval on).
http://orbitupload.com/uploads/elykdesktop.jpg
btw, I'll give $5 whs to the first person who can tell me where my wallpaper picture was taken (ever since I got a digital camera, all my wallpaper has been my own photos).

Edited by elyk

Nice desktop.. What are you running, Vista? I've been wanting to beta test it for a while now... Anyway, can you give us a location to where the pic was taken? I'm thinking somewhere like disney world, lol.

I'm not running vista, but I've got the next best thing (especially seeing as vista is looking like it's going to be mainly an eye candy upgrade like me was), a utility called Vista Transformation Pack. If you want the glass effect on your windows, you'll also need windowblinds (the free version should work fine) to apply the skins that the transformation pack provides.
<disclaim>I take no responsibility if you don't follow the directions and mess up your computer using the transformation pack; I highly recommend running it in safe mode. Also be sure to install windowblinds before applying the transformation pack</disclaim>
As for the location of the picture, you're close, but on the wrong coast. Hint: it's within a couple hours drive of the location shown on the weather globe. Bonus points if you can figure out the specific region of the place where this was photographed.

I don't know? Coney Island? Its about a 14 hour drive from Halifax according to Google Earth!

Edited by twistie

Disney Land, but im not sure where in. I myself, just have the basic blue background, with 3 icons on my desktop, and that is it. The only custom thing I have done is I have my taskbar auto hide on the left side of my screen.

Disney Land, but im not sure where in. I myself, just have the basic blue background, with 3 icons on my desktop, and that is it. The only custom thing I have done is I have my taskbar auto hide on the left side of my screen.

Correct. You win the prize! It was taken in Tomorrowland during the fireworks show. It didn't come out bad considering that I wasn't using a tripod and that was at least a second exposure.
Nathan, what windows are you running that the taskbar is like that. It looks kind of like my vista-style one with different colors. D Edited by elyk

Nice desktop.. What are you running, Vista? I've been wanting to beta test it for a while now... Anyway, can you give us a location to where the pic was taken? I'm thinking somewhere like disney world, lol.

Disney World? Then I got it correct... :mellow: Was it the world/land difference? Dammit, lol. Edited by XeCuTiOnX

Im gonna guess it was the difference. World is in florida, only way I know that is because I was there for 5 days for BPA. I was in the top 10 in the Nation for Ecommerce (woot).

It just looked like the work of disney, and I know that it is close to san diego.

Yep; that's the difference. Disneyland is located in Aneheim, which is between San Diego and Los Angelas. It was the original Disney theme park, opening in 1955 (although they added another park, "california adventure" right next door a couple years ago). Disneyworld, Florida did not open until 1971.
And I always thought that Disneyland was better known than disneyworld.

Depends which side of the coast you live on. Me, in the midwest, I know both, just didnt know which was which till last week.

On the subject of the Yahoo Wicket Engine, I downloaded, and love it. However, I am curous if anyone knows of any widgets or anything I can use that give me the option to lock the computer when in the Heads Up Display. So when I press F8, it asks for a password before letting me back in?

I live in the East Coast, so I know Disney World. I knew there was another Disney Theme Park, but I didn't know it was Disney Land; ignorance on my part.

Tino, I have been through most of the widgets at their site, and I haven't seen something like that, sorry.

lol.. I live in europe.. i only know Disney Land paris, and Disney World in florida (been there when i was 2 years old)

EDIT: this topic is going off-topic..

You should have done what I did. Some of my friends were starting an animation club, so one of them bought studio 8 and passed it around to everyone in the club.

Disclaimer: WHS does is no way support illegal software copying or redistrubution. We in no way suggest that you engage in these illegal activities.

I've got some great scenery shots that I can give you if you want wallpaper.

Edited by twistie

You should have done what I did. Some of my friends were starting an animation club, so one of them bought studio 8 and passed it around to everyone in the club.
I've got some great scenery shots that I can give you if you want wallpaper.

I would just like to point out that this is just as illegal in the eyes of the law.

I would just like to point out that this is just as illegal in the eyes of the law.

Yeah, but better one person buying it then no one.

When I get a job I will buy a version of Macromedia Studio. Using that one is only going to be temporaily. Since summer is coming up and I can't use DreamWeaver and Fireworks at school over the summer.

At school the school has a license for Studio MX and the files are on the school network, so everyone just copies it to their flashdrives.