NickPick528

What would the scores for these be?

I'm getting a low price new laptop, and I was wondering if anyone could give me the average of what the scores would be for them?

Laptop 1:

Intel Pentium N3700 2.4GHz

4gb Single channel 1600MHz DDR3L RAM

128gb SSD

Intel HD Graphics

Laptop 2:

Intel Core i3-4005U 1.7GHz

4gb Single Channel 1600MHz DDR3L RAM

128gb SSD

Intel HD Graphics 5500

You can expect probably 500-600 overall Novabench score, but I didn't calculate exactly.

All other considerations aside (build quality of the laptop, etc), the N3700 is a newer processor that's slightly faster, slightly better integrated graphics, and much lower power usage.

On 11/15/2015, 4:59:42, Nathan said:

You can expect probably 500-600 overall Novabench score, but I didn't calculate exactly.

All other considerations aside (build quality of the laptop, etc), the N3700 is a newer processor that's slightly faster, slightly better integrated graphics, and much lower power usage.

So basically, a $379 laptop with an N3700 is better than a $429 laptop with an i3-4005U?

On 11/15/2015, 4:59:42, Nathan said:

And Integrated Intel HD Graphics in the N3700 would be better than Intel HD Graphics 5500 in the other laptop?

4 hours ago, Nathan said:

You can see the differences here: http://ark.intel.com/compare/75105,87261

The graphics data is vague on the N3700, but it has a higher clock speed than the HD 5500.

Hm. The laptop with the N3700 is probably for me. I think Dell's lowering the price on the N3700 laptop to try and make customers think that the $50 more i3-4005U laptop is better, although you and that article are saying differently. I don't know too much about processors, but I got the things that the N3700 was better because it had 4 as oppoosed to 2 cores on the i3, there's a better graphics and processor clock speed in the N3700 (again) as opposed to the i3. Looks like I'll be getting the laptop with the Pentium N3700. Thanks, Nathan!

--Update--

I did just look at the website again and the max "dynamic" frequency of the i3 is 950MHz, which is higher than the base graphics clocks of both processors... Does this dynamic thing matter? Is the Pentium still the best?

--Update again!!--

I also noticed something else of course, the N3700 has a "burst" graphics frequency of 700MHz... Is that better than a "dynamic" frequency of 950MHz on the i3? I know you're probably annoyed with questions now, but I couldn't find any specs on the amount of VRAM that these processes have. Could you please let me know? I'll probably have to do another update after this :P

Edited by NickPick528
Added 2 Updates...

Intel ARK doesn't provide any dynamic frequency info for the N3700. Comparing clock frequencies doesn't give a good idea of the overall performance

The VRAM is just shared with the system's main RAM

The N3700 Novabench score is 273, the i3's is 259. Not a big difference. I would definitely go with the newer, more efficient processor. The price difference could be for other reasons, such as build quality.

On 11/17/2015, 4:25:56, Nathan said:

Intel ARK doesn't provide any dynamic frequency info for the N3700. Comparing clock frequencies doesn't give a good idea of the overall performance

The VRAM is just shared with the system's main RAM

The N3700 Novabench score is 273, the i3's is 259. Not a big difference. I would definitely go with the newer, more efficient processor. The price difference could be for other reasons, such as build quality.

I would go for the Pentium over the i3, but what are the average NovaBench scores for the graphics in these processors? Answer this question and I'll leave you alone on this topic :) Also, please check out this topic, where I've added links to both these laptops and some AMD versions that I'm considering: http://bit.ly/1S2YHd5 Thanks!