Sign in to follow this  
nilzg

question about results

Hi all I'm wondering if these results are correct:

http://i.minus.com/ibo9kXYs43yrXP.png and http://i.minus.com/ibhmozH1RgqkyP.png

I'm wondering because I did another benchmark some time ago with the same setup (the first one) and I had way better results

http://i.minus.com/iDuHCMwNLV3Qb.png (this is the older bench)

Now here are my full system specs for both machines:

- Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit
- MSI Z68A-GD65
- Intel i5 2500 @ 3.30 GHz
- Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus
- Asus GeForce GTX570 DCII 1280MB
- Corsair Vengeance Low Profile 2x4GB DDR3
- 2x Western Digital Caviar Blue 500GB
- OCZ ZS Series 750W Power Supply

- Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit
- Intel i5 2410 @ 2.30 GHz
- NVidia GeForce GT 520M
- Hyundai Electronics 1x4GB DDR3
- Western Digital Caviar 500GB WD5000BPVT-22HXZT1

Could anyone explain to me why there's such a difference between the first and second bench from the I5 2500 machine?

The reason I've also uploaded a shot of my laptop is because I'm also not sure if it's correct, I don't have an older shot of that one though.

Also sorry about the linking to the shots because I couldn't show them directly..

Thanks

edit: I forgot to tell that if I run the benchmark it gives me about 600 fps for the gpu but when I run it alone & fullscreen it gives me 1700 fps.. (quite close to the old result)

Edited by nilzg

The difference between the desktop and the laptop are almost entirely in the graphics score. The 520M is just not nearly as good as the GTX 560.

As for the drop in scores on the desktop, it's also made up of mostly graphics. Did something change in your setup? It's possible the graphics card is not receiving enough power. Check the power connections, and possibly check if your PSU is still working as it was.

thank you for the reply,

about the laptop yes I do know that the GTX 570 > GT 520M (I didn't mean to compare them, I just ment to ask if the benchmark was ok for the laptop)

about the computer, no I did not change anything about the setup, only the ram has been overclocked to 1600mhz instead of 1333mhz and alot of updates have been done (windows, nvidia drivers, ...) I also checked the power connections and everything seems to be ok. The GPU is working perfectly though. I also checked the voltages and they are at 'stock'. (which is 1.013v).

like I said the weird thing is that if I run the gpu benchmark fullscreen I get ~1700 fps and if I run it windowed I get ~600 fps also when I press the 'stop benchmark' button when the test is ongoing the fps jumps to ~2200+ fps instead of ~650.

I really don't understand why it does that

edit: now that I think of it I do have dual monitors now I don't know if that could have something to do with it. (I've tried to disable the second or even the first monitor with win + P but it gives me the same results)

Edited by nilzg

It's tricky to pin down. It's possible that your RAM overclock is unstable, causing some whacky timing issues that only manifest in a windowed render.

Try setting the RAM back to stock, see if that helps. The second monitor shouldn't have a noticeable effect.

I've tried to lower the clock on the RAM but it didn't help. What I also did was I've tried to benchmark with another program and there it seemed to be allright. I'll try novabench again if it has a new release, which will be soon I've read somewhere.