Sign in to follow this  
sjps

[OLD VERSION] Very Slow HDD scores

Hi guys,
I hope someone can help me. When testing my Laptop with Novabench I get extremely low HDD marks. Here is my latest score:

NovaBench Score: 925

03/01/2012 12:41:45
Microsoft Windows 7 Professional
Intel Core i7 Q 740 1.73GHz @ 1734 MHz
Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce GT 445M

14269 MB System RAM (Score: 204)
- RAM Speed: 7059 MB/s

CPU Tests (Score: 493)
- Floating Point Operations/Second: 202079864
- Integer Operations/Second: 461040192
- MD5 Hashes Generated/Second: 618024

Graphics Tests (Score: 208)
- 3D Frames Per Second: 613

Hardware Tests (Score: 20)
- Primary Partition Capacity: 588 GB
- Drive Write Speed: 23 MB/s

As you can see, my Drive Write speed is 23 MB/s. The Highest I got was 37 MB/s. I tried defragging the drive, killing all unnecessary programs, but no Luck. I have Dell XPS 17 Laptop. My HDD is a Samsung HM640JJ. It is a 7200 rpm HDD and it is suppose to be faster. Running Crystal Diskmark gives me a score of between 85 en 87. Could someone please explain this low score. Thanks

Edited by sjps

You missed something. Whenever I run a HDD benchmark I always kill everything within reason (e.g. explorer.exe), and disable my antivirus software for 10 minutes or so. Afterwards I just reboot to start it all back up. If you still can't get a good score try running perfmon.exe as admin (WinKey > type in perfmon > right click Run as administrator). From the Disk acordian you can see the what programs are currently reading and writing to your drive and causing the problem.

It could be something writing at the same time. Try again, you can run the test individually from the Tests menu.

However, there is the possibility of some inaccuracies with our program on some drives. It should show speeds that are consistent and within a reasonable range, but it might not show the fastest in all cases.

Intel Core2 Duo E8400 3.00GHz running at 3303MHz
Microsoft Windows 7 Professional
GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTS 450
RAM: 8191 MB
I was always told the smaller the boot drive the faster the response time. Is this true??? I'm running a 200 Gig as boot, a 2 Terabyte with quad partition as storage. Edited by sniper71

I believe the access time differences are not significant in practice for different partition layouts. At least, I haven't seen any reliable literature either showing or disproving it.