Sign in to follow this  
margo97w

CPU Score flucuates significantly

I am a new user and I have a question about my cpu scores. I first used this program on 12/21 and my CPU score was low, at 173. I have an Intel Core i3 M 380 2.53GHz @ 2533 MHz processor. So I ran the test again the next morning and recieved significantly higher results, cpu was 334. It was so different that I ran it again and my cpu score was 327. Seven hours later I checked and the cpu score was down to 182, then 181. What am I doing wrong? Why am I seeing so much flucuation?

I do not overclock or mess with the Bios. The reason I downloaded this program is that my 9 month old laptop suddenly died on me. Samsung said they had to replace the processor, motherboard, and ram. I had done nothing to the laptop, it was working fine, unplugged on the desk, and a few hours later when I came back to it it was dead. Powered on and fan running but nothing else happening. So I wanted to investigate the new cpu and here I am.

Thanks in advance, any help would be greatly appreciated.

334 vs 327 isn't significant, but yeah 334 vs 182 definitely is.

It's probably a process running during the lower score tests that's taking up the CPU. Check the process list in the task manager for low scoring tests vs normal test to see if anything is different.

It might also be your power settings scaling the CPU back sometimes. This usually happens on a laptop, and NovaBench can generally take care of it, but you should check that you're on Performance settings when running the test.