Sign in to follow this  
Phraze

AMD Athlon 64 X2

So anyway, i have been mucking round trying to work out how slow this old pc is! seems its running about par compared to its peers, every thing seems kinda normal. (well from what i have read)

NovaBench Score: 429

Microsoft Windows Vista Home Basic
AMD Athlon 64 X2 5600+ @ 2807 MHz
Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce 8600 GT

3071 MB System RAM (Score: 88) (there was 4 gig in there i think maybe a Gremlin has eaten one of my gigs)
- RAM Speed: 2296 MB/s

CPU Tests (Score: 224)
- Floating Point Operations/Second: 51152328
- Integer Operations/Second: 160471852
- MD5 Hashes Generated/Second: 658689

Graphics Tests (Score: 92)
- 3D Frames Per Second: 291

Hardware Tests (Score: 25) (this is rubish 5400rpm drive)
- Primary Partition Capacity: 298 GB
- Drive Write Speed: 68 MB/s

but there is one thing that's has confused me, that being the mod's (Nathan's) score. would you mind telling me why your pc has all most twice the score of mine and beats most of the i3's

Our scores for the CPU section are 259 vs your 224. That's not a significant difference.

Where my computer beats out others is in the GPU subsection - I have a pretty decent graphics card, and lots of RAM.

interesting, i considered trying to upgrade the AMD but i felt that it was (A) risky (stuff might start to fail) and (B) no longer cost effective.

it must be a powerfull video card to bring it score up so much even with the 8 gig ram (ddr2?)

In my case the GPU accounts for 40% of the score. You can see my subscores, by clicking the image in my signature.

It looks like Intel's Sandy Bridge is the best now, if you're willing to upgrade your motherboard and RAM.