Sign in to follow this  
andyh2470

Is my benchmark score good for my system?

I have just ran the software on my mac and I get the following results:

Verified NovaBench Score: 302 Test run on August 27, 2011 Mac OS X 10.7.0 MacBook (MacBook3,1) Intel Core 2 Duo running at 2200 MHz GMA X3100 GPU 4096 MB System RAM (Score: 107) - RAM Speed: 2584 MB/s CPU Tests (Score: 141) - Floating Point Operations/Second: 35337572 - Integer Operations/Second: 62427892 - MD5 Hashes Generated/Second: 613371 Graphics Tests (Score: 22) - 3D Frames Per Second: 54 Hardware Tests (Score: 32) - Primary Partition Capacity: 464 GB - Drive Write Speed: 74 MB/s

macbook.png

intel.png

Is this score good or not? Average score for this system is a lot hgher so is there any way to improve the score?

Thanks

Andy.

Your score is good. The average score for your system is actually 282: http://novabench.com/topmacs.php

The average score shown on the score page is actually the average for the whole database. We're working on making things more clear.

i also have a 2007 MacBook Pro 3,1. I have done a few modifications/upgrades however, which have made an enormous impact on the benchmark results, except for the cosmetic ones. I have before and after benchmarks, if you will, one in April 2011, and one just today, august 2012. The modifications/upgrades that i have done are:
1 TB main hard drive, 500 GB secondary hard drive in optical bay (generic IDE to SATA super drive adapter, 6 GB RAM (4+2 GB sticks from OWC), early 2008 MBP multi-touch track pad (it does have all of the gestures, though 5 finger gestures are a wee bit cramped, it is possible to perform them, as the machine seems to be rather forgiving in terms of precision when using 5 finger pinch or spread, like it knows there is a flaw, and feels pity for the user), translucent white key-caps from a ibook G3 (had to order an additional function key-cap, as the ibook combines F12 with eject, to leave room for the tabs for removing the keyboard, leaving one fewer key in the top row. I decided on an additional F12 key. also, the arrow keys are upside down, as in the labeling for pg up, pg dn, home and end. i also got a translucent black powerbook G4 keyboard for its key-caps for when i get bored of the translucent white. I really want newer style chiklet key-caps, but the only ones that would even be possible without having a few sideways keys would be the version 3 black macbook from the first year of the macbook, like 2006, if anyone else knows about any other model with the newer style key-caps that would fit th MBP3,1 let me know please. justchazagain@gmail.com) a new screen bezel and clamshell, since the old one was dented, (luckily, i found a 2006 MBP 2,1 in a dumpster behind a computer store with no battery and a cracked screen, otherwise it was complete, and runs fine with a monitor, so i used its clamshell.

101127.png

and the report:

Verified NovaBench Score: 288

Test run on April 6, 2011 at 04:27
Mac OS X 10.7.0
MacBook Pro (MacBookPro3,1)

Intel Core 2 Duo running at 2400 MHz

GeForce 8600M GT GPU

4096 MB System RAM (Score: 103)
- RAM Speed: 1694 MB/s

CPU Tests (Score: 118)
- Floating Point Operations/Second: 30130056
- Integer Operations/Second: 56129580
- MD5 Hashes Generated/Second: 465502

Graphics Tests (Score: 45)
- 3D Frames Per Second: 104

Hardware Tests (Score: 22)
- Primary Partition Capacity: 321 GB
- Drive Write Speed: 50 MB/s

this is the one i ran today Augist 2011

309833.png

and the report:

Verified NovaBench Score: 394

Test run on August 28, 2012 at 00:27
Mac OS X 10.8.1
MacBook Pro (MacBookPro3,1)

Intel Core 2 Duo running at 2400 MHz

GeForce 8600M GT GPU

6144 MB System RAM (Score: 131)
- RAM Speed: 2534 MB/s

CPU Tests (Score: 171)
- Floating Point Operations/Second: 44731340
- Integer Operations/Second: 76904608
- MD5 Hashes Generated/Second: 695299

Graphics Tests (Score: 76)
- 3D Frames Per Second: 178

Hardware Tests (Score: 16)
- Primary Partition Capacity: 865 GB
- Drive Write Speed: 48 MB/s

As an aside, it is worth noting that in the same dumpster that i found the aforementioned 06 MBP 2,1, there were also the carcasses of several netbooks that have proved useful as small desktop replacements, and in one case a fully working acer aspire one d250 (which runs snow leopard flawlessly) that had a sticker on it that said "bad screen". Turns out the display wire was getting pinched in the hinge. I only had to buy a keyboard. Plus loads of other models of laptops of varying sizes and ages, which were mostly whole, minus screens in most, hard drives in most, RAM except in a few cases, and keyboards on even fewer. Most also retained their wireless cards, which has also been a huge boon, because i love building computers from random computer scrap that i come by, then selling the final products, unless i end up hearting it, then i keep it. and i do repairs frequently. Plus its just plain fun to see exactly how many machines of varying specifications can run OS X, or the desktop Android project that has been going on for a while. Gotta love a good challenge! There were also a few desktops and monitors, tho they were less impressive and barely worth a mention. The moral of the story is, if you know of a good computer store, figure out how often and what days the dumpsters are emptied, and go on the day before it gets emptied. Then get in the dumpster. I prefer to pull my car up until the bumper touches the dumpster, then getting on my hood and climbing in that way, as some tend to be quite large. and most are relatively clean, due to the fact that most things that enter a computer stores dumpster are made of plastic, metal or glass, and most often cardboard and paper, though usually this is in bags. Checking bags is useful as well, as there usually are quite a few things, like sound and graphics cards, RAM, wireless cards, chargers, cables of varying types, adapters of varying types, pci cards of all types, and hard drives (usually smashed, though if any are of the same model as you own, this could save you money, as sometimes the hard drive fails due to the pc board attached to the back of the drive, especially in a situation of overheating. when they smash the drives, they only break the inside platters), but the list goes on forever. There most likely wont be any food or bugs or anything gross, but where gloves, due to sharp metal edges and broken glass will find a way to cut you in the dumpster. in the dumpster, yr not in yr home land, this is their turf, so we must play by their rules. and yes, i am referring to garbage as though it were people. Basically, just dont be afraid to get in and muck around. worse thing that could happen is not finding anything spectacular, or having the cops come, but you can always say you were looking for boxes cos yr moving, and noticed a bunch of neat stuff and couldnt resist at the thought of all of these electronics, that could possibly be used to salvage other electronics, being simply tossed into a landfill, where it could take centuries, or even millennia, to break down, causing that much more pollution, when it could be being recycled responsibly by repurposing what can be reused to build computers for children and families that cannot afford them (thinking of actually starting a charity like this, so that i can legally dumpster dive), and repairing the computers already owned for a fair price, when any computer store will offer to fix it for some crazy price, and usually, eventually just end up selling you a new computer, as they convince you how out of date yr 3 year old computer is, when the problem is usually something very simple to fix, which is typically what the retail stores that sell computers do. they claim to have a service center for yr repairs, when all it really is is a place where some guy who is a "certified geek" pretends to run some B.S. tests, while running said tests, which of course, are going to "take a while" to perform, and suggests that you go along and look at the merchandise, in a roundabout sort of way. In swoops the sales clerk like some large, poorly dressed, blue bird of prey who, unbeknownst to you, has watched you since you walked through the door carrying yr poor, sick computer, with a slight drool at the corners of his mouth and dollar signs floating about his head, instantly recognizing you as a sucker, since you obviously know nothing of computers, since you decided to bring yr stalled out computer to the store you bought it from instead of a computer repair shop or an independent computer repair service. In this instance, you are basically a bleeding fish in the middle of a pack of ravenous sharks, who smile to yr face while they rob you blind. The ever smiling, extremely polite young man/woman walks up to you with something akin to a sort of empathetic look about the eyes, and ever so politely offers his condolences to yr soon to be deceased computer, by offering to show you around with a rather suggestive variation of the most basic of sales pitch, "is there anything I can help you with today?", with a soothing tone in the voice, not dissimilar to a psychiatrist talking to a long time patient, of whom said psychiatrist appears to be very fond of, though they can never quite make it for dinner, as there is always some sort of new exposition or convention, what have you, that always coincidentally happens to be on the same night said psychiatrist is invited over, with these things lasting anywhere from a week to a weekend, pending on the voracity of the inquiring patient. All the while, the sales crook is using his/her deadly combination of charisma, empathy, perception and seemingly endless depth of knowledge for all things technology, with the favorite always being the computer, to lead the engrossed, enamored and grieving potential victim directly to the very last place one in such a vulnerable state should be, the computer department of the store. This mecca of brushed metals and polished plastics, where dozens upon dozens of nearly silent, perfectly arrayed, orderly and gleaming glass screens blaring a vast host of images, each more pleasing to the eye than the previous, each proceeding screen seemingly deposes those that had come before, in not only size, but in definition and color depth and pixel density, aspect ratio, display modes.... ethernet, wifi, wireless streaming audio and video, and on and on with meaningless computer jargon until, reeling with the mind boggling complexities and the myriad of miniature technological miracles, along with an impressive list of components and connections for anything and everything that you have, want, plan to get or will never be able to afford, drunk on techno-lust, yet panicking with an electrifying mixture of equal parts excitement, terror and the strange feeling there is a fact that you know you are forgetting about, something that seemed so important not so long ago.... and the trap is sprung, and before you know it, you have already picked out, in yr minds eye what the perfect computer should be, and have spent nearly an hour with it, so naturally, you have completely fallen in love, when the computer doctor comes to you and tells you in his most honest, and soothing tones that in fact, your computer has passed away, for a moment yr world is shattered, wondering what to do.... you look from computer doctor to the new love of your life you so recently forgot about, just moments before, and you hear the words that seem to make the whole situation that much more valid, like it was meant to be after all, when the computer doctor proudly announces, as though announcing to the world the sex of yr brand new baby, "however, we were able to save your files....".... moments later you walk out of the store, utterly defeated, deflated, beaten.... like you just had the worlds most terrible sex and never even busted a nut.... however, in yr hand, in a bag, in a box, wrapped securely in plastic and styrofoam, which are just as bad for the environment as the computers that never make it out of dumpsters, yet will end up in the same trash, in the end, as the carcass of the computer you once held so near and dear, so close to yr heart....as you have probably already forgot.... as youve already regiven yr heart to the current collection of current drawing components, as if the other one had never even existed....

Nice to see you're putting older parts to good use to make a respectably performing laptop. I didn't know a multi-touch trackpad would work in an older model Macbook.

Your story certainly shows the sad state of electronic waste.

Is this pretty good for gaming?

And please say what you think the value ( in euro's ) my pc is, just guess what I paid for it.

4-7-2013 23:49:36
Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium
AMD FX4170 @ 4200 MHz
Graphics Card: AMD Radeon HD 7700 Series

8176 MB System RAM (Score: 170)
- RAM Speed: 6865 MB/s

CPU Tests (Score: 410)
- Floating Point Operations/Second: 121351824
- Integer Operations/Second: 309484276
- MD5 Hashes Generated/Second: 883763

Graphics Tests (Score: 455)
- 3D Frames Per Second: 1259