Sign in to follow this  
rosiep

[OLD VERSION] [False positive] Trojan Oficla found in nb3test.exe by Malwarebytes

I ran a Malwarebytes Anti-Malware scan on my PC after installing and running Novabench 3. I downloaded my copy of Novabench directly from novabench.com. Malwarebytes detected Trojan.Oficla in nb3test.exe. I'm wondering:

1) Does anybody else get this same result?
2) How do I know if it is a false positive or something to be really concerned about?
a) If the former, can Novatech please fix it or contact Malwarebytes and work with them to get it resolved?
b) If the latter, what can I do about it now that I've already run this program? (I discovered that it gets launched by nb3.exe, so I know I've run it.)

Edited by rosiep

I ran a Malwarebytes Anti-Malware scan on my PC after installing and running Novabench 3. I downloaded my copy of Novabench directly from novabench.com. Malwarebytes detected Trojan.Oficla in nb3test.exe. I'm wondering:

1) Does anybody else get this same result?
2) How do I know if it is a false positive or something to be really concerned about?
a) If the former, can Novatech please fix it or contact Malwarebytes and work with them to get it resolved?
b) If the latter, what can I do about it now that I've already run this program? (I discovered that it gets launched by nb3.exe, so I know I've run it.)

Rosie,

I confirmed this on my system as well. I had just downloaded Novabench 3.02 yesterday. I saw your posting in the Logos forums so I ran Malwarebytes with the latest definitions. It came back positive for Trojan.Oficla. The previous version of Novabench (3.01) on my other system shows clean.

I used Malwarebytes to remove it and am currently running another scan.

Regards,

Bob

Thank you both for the information. nb3test.exe is the testing program that NovaBench calls on for most of the benchmark tests. I can confirm that Malwarebytes is marking it as a trojan. This is a false positive.

I've reported the issue to Malwarebytes here: http://forums.malwarebytes.org/index.php?showtopic=74737 Hopefully it will be fixed quickly.

Rest assured that we would never distribute any sort of malware in our programs. nb3test.exe itself has no possibility of connecting to the internet, or acting as a trojan. The only time NovaBench connects to the internet is when a score is submitted, at which point the data is subject to our privacy policy, which we take very seriously.

If you have any other questions, let me know.