Sign in to follow this  
akaronin

How can this be possible ?!?!

Greatings to everyone :smile:

I have a question to the developer of NovaBench...

I know the choices you made in the Speed vs Size score both in Ram and Hard Drive sections... i don't agree with your choice but i understand and respect...

But regarding the Graphics Tests how can this be possible ?!?!?!?!?!

ATI Radeon HD 4850 GPU
Graphics Tests (Score: 452)
- 3D Frames Per Second: 863

ATI Radeon HD 4870 X2 GPU
Graphics Tests (Score: 254)
- 3D Frames Per Second: 738

First... how can a 4850 have higher FPS than a 4870 X2 ???? That's not possible even if NovaBench its clueless about the CrossFire capabilities of the 4870 X2...

Second and even more strange... why 863 FPS gives a score of 452 points... and 738 FPS only gives a score of 254 points ???

In other words, why 85,5% of FPS translates to ONLY 56,2% of score points !?!?!? What's the logic in this ?????

I have to point out that the system with the 4850 is Mac OS X 10.6.6 machine and the system with the 4870 X2 is a Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate machine... but if this is the reason for this strange scores i definitely think it is wrong to have Mac and Windows scores mix together in a single score table... but that's just my opinion...

Best regards
akaronin

Edited by akaronin

I've tried to accurately model the differences in the GPU tests between Windows and Mac machines, and match the score curves accordingly.

There may be cases where they don't line up exactly. The issue here however is likely the test on Windows not taking advantage of your second GPU. While it *should* do this, there may be configurations where it doesn't.

I'll look into the matter.

I've tried to accurately model the differences in the GPU tests between Windows and Mac machines, and match the score curves accordingly.

There may be cases where they don't line up exactly. The issue here however is likely the test on Windows not taking advantage of your second GPU. While it *should* do this, there may be configurations where it doesn't.

I'll look into the matter.

The scene that is run during the graphics test is TOTALLY different on the Mac OS and the Windows versions! There is no way these two tests can be compared. This should really be fixed if this is supposed to be a cross-platform benchmark.

Here are my scores on the same machine for GPU Test, Mac vs Windows. This is with a single GeForce GTX 480.

Mac OS 10.6.6
Graphics Tests (Score: 1560)
- 3D Frames Per Second: 2689

Windows 7 x64
Graphics Tests (Score: 609)
- 3D Frames Per Second: 1646
Edited by Echrei

The scores can be compared, it just requires a large sample to fit (which we now have). I had limited access to hardware to compare during development. Yes, ideally the GPU test would be the same on every platform, but I had already built the Windows version to use DirectX.

I plan on making the necessary changes to the score equation and retroactively updating incorrect scores. Thanks for your feedback.