Sign in to follow this  
twistie

Hard Drive Failures

Well, late on the 27th of December the 4 month old Seagate 7200.4 500GB HDD in my laptop died catastrophically. I'm now back up and running on a Seagate Momentus XT 500GB after a few days of fiddling around. By the looks of it the 7200.4 suffered a head failure. I lost about a month of data I didn't have backed up, but luckily it occurred at a good time when I didn't have any major projects on the go, or University work. This is the first catastrophic HDD failure I've had since about 1998. I've only lost two other hard drives since then, both of which have shown typical signs of imminent failure and I was able to quickly backup data before the drive became unusable. Got a quote back to recover the files from the device from a few recovery firms around the state, all have said about $2000 AUD if it is a head failure, which isn't worth the data that is on there. I'm just wondering if any of you guys have had any recent catastrophic hard drive failures. Anecdotal evidence seems to indicate that they are becoming more and more common, but I haven't seen any solid data that represents any changes in failure rates of statistical significance. What are other user's experiences like with recent hard drive failures?

I had a seagate crash last year. I was able to send it off to seagate's own recovery company. They wanted a bit more than the data was worth, but I got a free warranty replacement from them. They never said the cause of the failure.

I had a seagate crash last year. I was able to send it off to seagate's own recovery company. They wanted a bit more than the data was worth, but I got a free warranty replacement from them. They never said the cause of the failure.

If you don't mind me asking how much USD or CAD did that cost? I know Seagate only operates their recovery centers in North America, so I would have to send it over there anyway. AUD and USD are at parity at the moment, so it might be worth it if they are much cheaper.

Wow HDD recoveries are mega expensive i didn't realise

Don't they just unscrew the disk from the mounting and replace it into a similar HDD? That's about an hours job at best, costing the same price as a new HDD.

--

I had one died on me last year, it was my best one i owned (a 200GB samsung PATA drive) quite expensive too. It had barely anything on it cause i recently installed a new OS on it. I just turned it on one day to find with the "tick of death" - the head probably broke or something...

Ahwell i couldn't get it working again so i pulled it apart and nabbed the magnets from it :biggrin:

I think they wanted around $700 US. The pricing probably varies a lot though. They were extremely prompt and helpful, so I'd recommend going with them if your data is worth it.

I also had a seagate die on me. Although i had already moved all my files to a 1tb external back up so I was in the clear. Do you know if there anyway to recover the files with out paying for it? Like a do it yourself way?

It depends on what the problem is. If it's data corruption, then there are tons of free tools to retrieve the data. If it's a faulty logic board, you could buy a replacement online. If it's an internal issue, you can't really fix it yourself without a clean room. Diagnosing the problem's not always easy either.

If it's an internal issue, you can't really fix it yourself without a clean room.

In a good example of 'what not to do' we ran a computer at university in one of our dusty old labs with Gentoo on a hard drive and a script which accessed and wrote random files on the disc all day. We then took all the casing off the hard drive and left it on the desk, platter and drive head exposed to the conditions of the room. It took three days for the thing to crash, but when it did, we attempted to retrieve the data on the hard drive from another machine. Every single sector of the drive appeared to have been corrupted.