Sign in to follow this  
pecky

Cms progress!!

As you may or may not know, me and Jamie are working on a project (well, mainly me but hey ;)) of a CMS.

We have decided on a name, Zoopa. I thought it was quite catchy lol

--

Anyway, i have made considerable progress on it lately - even though its taking far long than i'd expect, it may be finished sometime after christmas now.

I have managed to clear up a few bugs related to the user commenting and registration - and also updated the comments theme for it.

You can view a live working demo here - http://peckio.co.cc/cms

I have only managed to get the user registration, login/out and commenting completed - i yet to have to do the administrators panel yet ;)

--

Feel free to try it out and spam the comments (and create a user if you like) to see what it's like.
Dont worry about the spam anyway, i have a truncate code ready just to reset the comments

I need to find any more bugs too before i move on anyway.

Thanks a bundles :)

Hey pecky can u please remove the Max length of usernames are 12 characters.
that would be just gr8 :)

Edit:
Also add the "forgot my password" option...
Having WYSIWYG wont be a bad idea as well :P
1 More thing... also add a star "*" on register (fields) which are compulsory to fill...
few more things... the reply area... the button is not so much visible... same goes with the cancel button...
also the reply textbox needs a table... rite now its looking as if the textbox is not the part of the blog..
A header logo area would also be a good idea :P Also adding Captcha on registration page

ERROR ON REPLY:
Hack prevention
Please contact the admin immediately if this problem persits.

MORE ERROR:
I cannot make a new topic nor comment on any...

I gotta with you (DotMRT).
However it looks pretty well,
Background images are not bad,
Well defined consequence, arrangment of codes,
Script can be use in any website that's I like.

----------
BTW I am not much expert in php, so I don't need to mention about the codes, well I appreciate your work!

Hey pecky can u please remove the Max length of usernames are 12 characters.
that would be just gr8 :)

Edit:
Also add the "forgot my password" option...
Having WYSIWYG wont be a bad idea as well :P
1 More thing... also add a star "*" on register (fields) which are compulsory to fill...
few more things... the reply area... the button is not so much visible... same goes with the cancel button...
also the reply textbox needs a table... rite now its looking as if the textbox is not the part of the blog..
A header logo area would also be a good idea :P Also adding Captcha on registration page

ERROR ON REPLY:
Hack prevention
Please contact the admin immediately if this problem persits.

MORE ERROR:
I cannot make a new topic nor comment on any...

Ye i would remove it if it makes the experience better :) its just that so people cant put in like "wuitehriouui3h45kjb23kj43h" or something like it lol.
---
The forget my password thing will be coming shortly
---
A WYSIWG editor would be good :) actually, i think i may just put that in there in a mo
---
Yeah i was going to do that, it just seemed that if the user didn't fill it out any required sections then she/he would be prompted to do so - might put that in too
---
Yeah i think i may put buttons in like IPB
---
What do you mean? its all align nicely ;) unless you mean its like got no border around it?
---
Yup header would be coming also
---
Ah yeah thats the bug im figuring out for ages - it only pops up in firefox and it only comes up once. If it is propping up continuously you might want to relax your cookies a little more (since a session for comments is created, then passed on through the ajax. If the cookie and the GET variable dont match, then an error is formed - stops bots you see ;))
---
Its a blog, so you can't create a topic ;)

Thanks for the replies people :)

Its a blog, so you can't create a topic ;)

sorry I meant a new post... I cant create that..

What do you mean? its all align nicely ;) unless you mean its like got no border around it?

Yep i was referring to the borders

Ah yeah thats the bug im figuring out for ages - it only pops up in firefox and it only comes up

It also happened on google chrome... i am/was using google chrome at that time, when this error popped up.

Hmm, did you try pressing refresh and posting again?

I really need to find a better solution - i have a rough idea though and it doesn't involve sessions or cookies :D

Pecky, id possible do you think i could get the source code of your cms please?

I am doing a little project for myself, to see how good i am and where i need to improve. I will be customising your cms to as far as i need and then release the source code back.

If you want more info just ask :D

Lets hope you let me use it pweese ;D

Malcom

Hmm, did you try pressing refresh and posting again?

I really need to find a better solution - i have a rough idea though and it doesn't involve sessions or cookies :D

Yes i even tried to refresh the page... even tried IE 8 but it still says:

Hack prevention
Please contact the admin immediately if this problem persits

Pecky, id possible do you think i could get the source code of your cms please?

I am doing a little project for myself, to see how good i am and where i need to improve. I will be customising your cms to as far as i need and then release the source code back.

If you want more info just ask :D

Lets hope you let me use it pweese ;D

Malcom

For 50 points i would ;)

It's just i don't want it redistributed or anything - as i am still making it and theres no way of licensing it yet.

And that's ok - no need to send the source back, as im sticking to a plan of what i'm supposed to be doing :P

50 points :o :(

Won't be redistributed. I thought, using your source code i can show you how capable your cms is. If you wish i will only show it to you, for 15points :D xD

...we're not talking about a ton of points here... and there's not like there's much else to spend points on. Most of us really don't need any account upgrades...

Yeah you would have thought i spend my points by now ;)

Ok then, 20 points if it makes you happy lol

Points are extremely important! We are in a recession......No spend but save.laugh.gif joke :D

Yeah illl do 20points, send me the file in an attachement in a PM if you accept xD :D

Sorry for the late update - i have been really ill lately cause of the damn flu (just seasonal ;))

I have done a major update to the aesthetics :D

http://peckio.co.cc/cms/?

New stuff

• Header included
  • Background in place
  • Navigation updated
  • DotMRT's bigger reply button suggestion
  • Comments got a new colour scheme
  • Content centred!! (yay)
  • Also put the reply boxes inside the container with the news
And that would be all :) i haven't got round to fix that Hacking Error thingy yet, that is quite involved

Any other suggestions?

Here are some of my suggestions for an ultimate CMS!

AJAX username validator
AJAX password strength
Input boxes lined up in registration page
When replying to a post, leave the comments in tact instead of replacing them with the reply box
Login box at the top
Get it W3C Validated

:D

Hmm, pretty interesting work here.

Here are some pointers:

• Make sure to htmlentities() and mysql_real_escape_string() input.

• AJAX is awesome when used well. It's cool that it adds the post without refreshing the page, but I suggest it redirect you to the topic page after posting.

• I can't see a background on the register and login pages.

• I actually like your style, very appealing, but the CMS needs a lot more features than just a blog.

• The layout of blog comments is awesome.

• A flood control limit on comments would be nice.

• Comments should be editable.

• Are IPs logged / bannable?

Hey,
Yeah the CMS is coming along pretty well :)

Cosmic, give pecky chance, it won't be just a blog, The comments will be editable hopefully soon, but I'd say only registered users will be able to edit their own comments, Of course admins can edit any comment!

The look is really good, personally I love it, I can't wait to create some mods etc for it :)

More news on zoopa soon, A site will be setup soon at http://zoopa.jamiesrebellion.co.cc/ Listing the changes and features being added to tuneyou,

I will post here when the site is setup,

Regards,
Jamie

@mark an AJAX user validator is on the registration page ;) - also good points, might take them into consideration - i might do the reply box thingy actually, sounds good

@Cosmic - fixed the background colour issues. As for the other stuff
All mysql is escaped ;)
IPs are logged
The CMS will have much more "stuff" than a blog later on - i haven't got round to the admin section yet ;)
Comments will be anti-spam one day

And i see Jamie is using the mini logo thingy :D

Should get a lot done tomorrow as i hate the snow lol
Thanks for the replies too

A few more things:

• You need to align the input fields in the login / register pages with a table. It doesn't even need a background, it just needs to be straight.

• Make it pop up an error if the two password inputs say different things (before the form is submitted).

• I'd advise disallowing the prefixes "admin" and "mod" to be used as usernames.

• The register form looks a bit sloppy. Needs to be a bit more professional.

• On the login page, it says "Registration is completely free, fast and easy". You need a comma before the and. Also include a link to the register page.

• The font of "keep me signed in forever" needs to be smaller.

• Is it just me or does the "latest activity" button just lead to the homepage?

• Can the login / Register buttons be below the logo instead of on the menu?

• The content of blog posts should probably have a border around it or be separated from other content by am hr. IT looks a bit too unprofessional.

• Could there be an error displayed when there are no comments on a blog entry?

• Could the amount of comments and timestamps of blog posts be separated, say by a "|"? Also the blog needs to display the poster on the main page. To add to that, IO suggest the comment button be directly to the right of the amount of comments and timestamp, not a bit above.

A few more things:

• You need to align the input fields in the login / register pages with a table. It doesn't even need a background, it just needs to be straight.

Will work on that

• Make it pop up an error if the two password inputs say different things (before the form is submitted).

That already does that <_<

• I'd advise disallowing the prefixes "admin" and "mod" to be used as usernames.

Yup i was thinking of pre-registering some users (like admin, administrator etc)

• On the login page, it says "Registration is completely free, fast and easy". You need a comma before the and. Also include a link to the register page.

Sorted ;)

• The font of "keep me signed in forever" needs to be smaller.

Done

• Is it just me or does the "latest activity" button just lead to the homepage?

As it's BETA, hardly any of the stuff works yet - that will come later on

• The content of blog posts should probably have a border around it or be separated from other content by am hr. IT looks a bit too unprofessional.

HR's are unprofessional in itself ;) i added a border at the bottom and it looked really daft, so i put a drop shadow effect under it and it looks a lil better now - not sure though

• Could there be an error displayed when there are no comments on a blog entry?

I guess so :)

• Could the amount of comments and timestamps of blog posts be separated, say by a "|"? Also the blog needs to display the poster on the main page. To add to that, IO suggest the comment button be directly to the right of the amount of comments and timestamp, not a bit above.

Ye it was once separated by the timestamp was on one side and the comments were on the other, now i placed all the text to the left now i need to fix it..

--

Anyway, made a change and the login is now see-able and doo-able from the header :) there are also profile links made once logged in. Also can somebody see what the "drop shadow" effect looks like on the comments?

Thanks

Sorry, I was abit unclear. What I ment was a traffic light system for the passwords and a message next to the input box saying that the username has already been taken instead of clicking a button to check

Sorry, I was abit unclear. What I ment was a traffic light system for the passwords and a message next to the input box saying that the username has already been taken instead of clicking a button to check
All you have to do is move the function that checks from a button to a "onchange" on the input field.